Many clients ask me from time to time how they actually design or develop a process for their business. My simple answer is this:
- Take a piece of A4 paper , write on the left hand side numbers 1-30 then begin to think about how a particular component of your business works or the components that are needed.
- By simply creating this list of steps that you complete for each part of your business, you will start to build a process that you can follow.
- Once you have initially created this list of 10, 20 or 50 components into a process, the next key step is to provide this list to other people in your team that are involved in this process within your business.
- Ask them to review your list, add more detail or components that you may have missed to ensure that we are now developing a really strong consistent process.
- Once this list has been created, get it typed into an excel spreadsheet using an appropriate template.
At darrenpratley.com and INK Consulting Associates we offer a template that you can use. This template is designed so that you can insert new rows to enable you to move and develop your process. Once this process has been developed into your template, it can now be printed and provided to the team in your business. At this point we usually advise that there is a one month trial for people to be actually using this process day-to-day in the business. What you are wanting to receive now is feedback on the process, how it is working and ensuring that there is improved efficiency and consistency. Once this month’s trial has been conducted, the next step is to formalise the process and ensure that it becomes the consistent format for all events relating to that process. This basically means that every time a particular job or function is required in the business, there is a process to follow and it will enable your team to provide a consistent, accurate outcome everytime.