One of the key areas and the importance of a database or CRM in your business is its ability to drive a system and process that makes your business more effective and also successful. The database system that you choose has to have some key components:
- Online – The ability to access your database system online or from wherever you are, provides you the ability to interact and always have it close to you in your day to day business activities. This information on your database can make working with clients so much easier and ensuring that you have the right information at your fingertips.
- Access – Accessing your database via mobile phone, laptop, in the office or on the road is really important to ensure that you can see clearly what your process and opportunities for new business are but also how to create connection with as many of your customers as possible. Having the right system with great access makes life so much easier.
- Mobile – Database systems and CRMs are now developing in such a way that they can be used on mobile devices whether it is a tablet or smart phone. It will enable you to have access to your data in an easy to use format while you are on the go. Make sure that this mobility provides you with the support you need.
Ensuring you have a system that you use will save you time and create consistency. Having a regular calling structure to connect with your customers from your database is so important. Set it up so that it provides you with a list of clients to call every week.
It is important that your system allows you to be able to update client information quickly and easily. In some cases now the database systems are enabling the customer to enter into your database (in a secure environment) to be able to update their personal information.
Remember that your database system has to have the ability for ongoing development. We see often clients who have committed to a particular database that has not evolved over time leaving them commercially vulnerable as competitors move in new directions.
Try and use a database system that enables you to develop clear businesses processes that your team can follow to create consistency. These processes also should deliver the customer a consistent and reliable experience that meets and preferably exceeds their expectation.
Here are some key items that need to be considered in selection of your database:
- What will create an asset to the business and grow enterprise value;
- Ensure data that is collected is as comprehensive as possible right from the start. Spend some time developing your data list;
- Use the database to drive your day to day activity through developing tasks and events. The database should provide reporting to summarise your activity and provide a level of accountability. Ensure the system provides for easy import and exporting of system data to enable the data to be used externally when required. Note: Please ensure that data security is thought about.
- In choosing the right system, ensure that consideration is made as to the potential needs and uses of the system in the future.